The WP Security Audit Log plugin can connect to external databases and third party services such as Slack so you can:
- Store the WordPress activity log in an external database
- Archive old entries of the WordPress activity logs
- Mirror the WordPress activity log to another database or a third party service such as Slack and Syslog.
This document explains how to create new external connections and manage existing ones to better manage the activity log of WordPress sites.
Managing External Databases & Third Party Services Connections
The process of setting up the storing, archiving or mirroring of the activity log in an external database, or on a third party service is a two step process:
- Create the connection
- Specify for what the connection is to be used for.
Creating a New External Connection
To create a new connection to an external database or a third party service:
- Navigate to the DB/Archive/Mirror node in the plugin menu.
- In the Connections tab click the Create a Connection button. This will launch the wizard to assist you with creating the new connection.
- In the first step of the wizard select the type of connection you want to create from the Type of Connection drop down menu.
- In the second step of the wizard configure the required connection details.
Tip: Refer to storing the activity log in an external database, and mirroring the activity log to an external database, Slack, PaperTrail or Syslog connection for more details on the required information for each connection.
- In the last step of the wizard, specify a name for the connection. Connection names are just reference for you and can be up to 25 characters long and can only consist of letters, numbers and underscores.
Managing External Connections
All your configured external databases and third party services connections can be accessed from the DB/Archive/Mirror node, as seen in the below screenshot.
For every connection listed in this page you can:
- See the type of connection and what it is used for
- Reconfigure the connection
- Test the connection
- Delete the connection
If you want to change for what a connection is used for you have to do so from the relative tab, by clicking on either one of the following:
- External Storage
For more information on external databases, archiving and mirror refer to the getting started with external databases and third party services guide.