We are happy to announce the new version of WP Security Audit Log, a plugin that allows you to keep a record in an audit log of everything that is happening on your WordPress and WordPress multisite websites. In this update we included a new number of WordPress security alerts, mostly to monitor WordPress database changes.
Alerts for WordPress Database Changes
There are a number of plugins and themes that when installed they create new tables in the WordPress database or modify existing ones. This is normal especially for plugins which store data, such as WP Security Audit Log itself. In fact even some WordPress updates modify some tables. By knowing which components are modifying the database, and what modifications they are doing you can ease the troubleshooting process should you encounter any issues.
From now onwards you can monitor these type of WordPress database changes with WP Security Audit Log as it will keep a record in the audit log each time a plugin, theme or any other component creates new tables, modifies the database structure or delete tables from the database. The following WordPress security alerts will be recorded in the WordPress audit log:
Alerts for WordPress database changes by Plugins
- Alert 5010: A plugin created a number of tables in the database
- Alert 5011: A plugin modified the structure of some tables in the database
- Alert 5012: A plugin deleted a number of tables from the database
Alerts for WordPress database changes by Themes
- Alert 5013: A theme created a number of tables in the database
- Alert 5014: A theme modified the structure of some tables in the database
- Alert 5015: A theme deleted a number of tables from the database
Alerts for WordPress database changes by Other Components
- Alert 5016: An unknown component created a number of tables in the database
- Alert 5017: An unknown component modified the structure of some tables in the database
- Alert 5018: An unknown component deleted a number of tables from the database
Below is a screenshot of a 5010 alert which is generated when the plugin Easy Digital Downloads is installed. As can be seen from the screenshot this plugin creates a new table called wp_edd_customers during installation.
New Alert for Categories
In this version of WP Security Audit Log we also added a new alert for when the parent of a category is changes. The new alert is:
- Alert 2052: The parent of a category was changes
Refer to the complete list of WordPress security Alerts for more information on all the alerts WP Security Audit Log can generate.
What is Next for WP Security Audit Log?
We already started working on version 2.0 of WP Security Audit Log hence it will take us some time till we release another major version update. In the meantime we will still be releasing any patches should any issues be identified. We recommend you to subscribe to our WP White Security Plugins newsletter so you are notified via email of the progress of the plugin. Version 2.0 is a very exciting version for us as we will be adding some new features which will allow us to expand further the plugin’s functionality in the future. Version 2.0 will also include a good number of improvements, so stay tuned with us!
Download WP Security Audit Log Plugin
Download WP Security Audit Log and start monitoring your WordPress and WordPress multisite today. If you have any questions, feedback or need support please get in touch with us by sending us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org.